History

Although it looks like it, the Electric Picture Palace in Blackmill Road is not an old cinema which has been restored, but was actually created from a Victorian cart shed and stables in 2002.

The Screen Two Gallery was added in 2012. Both were opened by Michael Palin. There was an Electric Picture Palace in Southwold in 1912. It was nearby in York Road, in buildings now replaced by a surgery and a small block of flats. It survived as the Southwold Cinema until 1964. The new building has 70 seats (including a back row Cuddle Seat and the Royal Box), a Kiosk, Box Office, Circle, Screen Two, a rising “Tiny Wurlitzer” organ and air-conditioning. There is a Commissionaire, a Front of House Manager in a DJ, Box Office and Kiosk staff, organist and usherettes.